Thursday, September 9, 2010

Miss Clairol, where art thou???

So, I'm sitting in the car wondering how in the world I'm gonna get Miss Cranky Pants out of her car seat without waking her when I look in the rear view mirror and think, hey...what's that shiny thing in my hair? So I pull on it and it's attached. Yep, you guessed it...it was my own hair. Two inches of shiny gray with a brown end. And here all this time I thought when my roots grew out, they'd just be a different shade of brown. Not so!
It's not that I'm a stranger to gray hair. Like my dad, I've had it since I was a teen, but then I was blonde and it was really hard to find. Three babies and eighteen years of who knows what kind of free radicals later, I really have no idea what my natural hair color actually is. When I was in my twenties, I was told at an expensive salon that they had clients who paid hundreds of dollars for those shades of blonde, gold and red in that perfect balance. What happened to THAT hair?
And whatever happened to that perfectly coiffed chic who used to be able to style her hair in multiple ways with nothing more than a clip, fingers and mousse? Now it takes three brushes, a hair dryer, a pick, two combs, a flat iron, a curling iron and eight different styling products that I can't even pronounce to get...straight hair that flies everywhere and lays flat on my head. Well, flat except for that weird cowlick in the back of my hair at my neckline that makes one side look shorter than the other. But, hey, as I was told, "assymetrical bobs are still all the rage this fall." But I LIKE symmetry. I like for both sides of my hair to look like they belong on the same head. I LIKE my hair to be one color with tones and shades instead of seven different colors that make me look like a bad hair academy experiment!
So I guess I'm off to Wal-Mart this afternoon to stand in front of the hair color aisle and contemplate between "Rich Mohogany" and "Bountiful Brunette."  And since I already have too many "bountiful" parts, maybe I'll go for rich this time...

No comments:

Post a Comment