Monday, September 13, 2010

But I just cleaned, honest!

So every day I clean my house. At least some part of my house, anyway. I usually spend most of the morning picking up toys and putting away clothes. Mondays are my laundry day. I try to get as much laundry done on Mondays as possible so that my husband doesn't have as much to do the rest of the week. (My amazing hubby does random loads of laundry throughout the week while I try to do the bulk on Mondays) Today I just wanted to sit on the floor and play with the baby, but I did my work like the dutiful Mommy I am.
But, the baby wanted to play...with everything I had just put away. She toddled behind me all day dragging back out everything I had so carefully put back in it's respective closet, bucket, basket or bin. By the end of the day, when one of my students came over, I had to stand at my door and say, "I've been cleaning all day, honest."
But you know it made me stop and think. How often do we do that to God? We have a revival or crusade (Ronnie Hill was just at our church) or a particularly powerful service or choir special and we just really put our all out there for God. "Fix me, Lord," we say. "I'm letting go and I'm living the life you want for me. Clean my house and make me a vessel for You, an instrument for Your purposes." Then we watch while He cleans the cobwebs out of our hearts and picks up the "issues" we mess with, while He takes out the sin-trash and gets things ready for Him to fully occupy our hearts and lives. And what do we do? We toddle behind Him and randomly pick things back out. We drag out those hurt feelings so we can cry over them. We pull down the blocks of poor time management and scatter them across the floor of our hearts. We get out the dirty clothes of bitterness and grief and we mess around in the trash to pull out that gossip wrapper or the empty package of pride so we can play with them all again. Then we have nowhere to "play" anymore because everything is a mess and we go on a hunt for something else to do/feel.
Then we wonder why things got messy again. And He looks at us and says, "I just cleaned you out, honest. You're the one who won't leave it alone." 
"Well, Lord, this time I am leaving it be. You've cleaned it and I'll leave things where they are supposed to be. You cleaned out the mess and gave me the talent You wanted me to play with and I'm gonna do that. I'm gonna play with the gifts You gave me and let You decide when and where I will use them. And while I'm at it, I think I might like to take advantage of some of that perfect peace You give too."
Gonna crawl up in Daddy's Lap and take a little Sabbath Rest. G'night.

No comments:

Post a Comment