Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Vacation Survival Kit

I am a huge fan of the blog, www.dixiedelights.blogspot.com! She is so creative, talented and has so many beautiful things on there that I almost wanna hate her! I mean that one person could be so crafty, so creative, so talented, well it just isn't fair! BUT, since she has such amazing ideas and entries, I have to continue to follow. And that is where I came up with my idea for Vacation Survival Kits.

As I said on a previous blog, we travel at night to keep the puking at bay so I don't normally have fussing children asking, "Are we there yet?" and telling me that they are bored and that their sister crossed "the line" in the back seat with her little pinky finger AGAIN!!! Maybe your kids don't do that and mine don't necessarily either, but I feel for my poor parents because many many years ago, they had to deal with that. I used to put my entire hand on the seat next to the imaginary line my sister had drawn delineating what part of the car was hers and what part was mine. I would just sit there with my hand right next to "the line" and look at her. And yeah, I was that annoying little sister that danced my finger next to her ear chanting, "I'm not touching you. I'm not touching you." Come to think of it, I'm not sure why she still speaks to me! lol

So, we don't have to deal with the normal headaches that many parents deal with on road trips and we don't take but two or three a year anyway and they are most always at night because of the whole car sick issue, so I don't need the same kind of set up that Amanda shows on her blog. HOWEVER, if I were going to travel during the day time with three kids, you can bet your backside that I would be using every single one of her tips and tricks! See her entire kit here, including step by step instructions, buying guide and how much she spent. I told you she was awesome.
 http://www.dixiedelights.blogspot.com/2011/09/road-to-disney.html

Okay, so our problem occurs AFTER we get to our destination. If we can't check in yet, the first words I hear are "I'm hungry." I have learned to deal with that by packing a snack kit (maybe that is another post). But inevitably, at some point on our vacation, somewhere in our condo, you hear those dreaded vacation words, "I'm bored." It may be due to an intense rainy season, lightning closing the pool and miniature golf course, or just those 15 minutes when they are ready to go to Downtown Disney and no one else is.

Enter the Vacation Survival Kit. Once we reach our destination, children are promptly stuffed into swimming suits and sent with Daddy to the nearest pool while Mommy sets up "house" in our townhouse. This year, when they return from swimming and it's time to prepare to go out to dinner, they will find these on their beds...


Each basket will also double as where they are to keep all the "stuff" they inevitably acquire while we are there. Here's the breakdown...



There is nothing here that cost more than $1 at Walmart (that's where I bought everything new) or that we didn't already have in the house. We travel during the time of year when school supplies come out so I was really lucky to get everything for a very small amount of money.

The giant Dora coloring book was $1
The composition notebook was $0.50
The activity book was $0.88
The water bottle was from a pack for $3.88
The snack container was a mini Chips Ahoy container for $1 and is filled with pretzels or goldfish (we ate the cookies a LONG time ago!!!)
The spiral notepad was from a 4-pack for $0.88
The Pez was in my goody cabinet as were the colored pencils and the play pack but these are also available at WM for around $1 each
The glow wand was $0.97
The tattoos were from a pack I split between all three girls on clearance for $0.50
The stickers were from a multi-pack that I also split between all three girls for $0.97

I will probably still hear that dreaded sound of "I'm bored" but it won't be because they have nothing to do!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment